Though school has been off for a while, the Summer Equinox is on June 21st, 2018. So, summer officially starts today! In the summer, when I travel, there are many advantages of an e-reader for various reasons.
During the summer, I often travel with my family. As a book lover, up until a few years ago, I always faced the same problem again and again. Which books to take and to leave behind! There is only so much luggage space, and there’s no way I would be allowed to take a suitcase full of books.
This was me a few years ago:
But a few years ago, I got an e-reader as a gift! At first, I was partial to the idea. I like looking at the covers of books, and holding them in my hands. Also, I wasn’t too sure about rebuilding an entire collection of books on my e-reader. But now, I am so glad that I received it!
There are many advantages of an e-reader. At first, it may not seem as great as paper books, but the numerous advantages definitely outweigh the negatives.
Advantages Of An E-reader
There are numerous advantages. Here are a few:
1. LESS LUGGAGE!! With an e-reader, it is easy to take a slim device instead of taking suitcases full of books. In fact, with an e-reader, you can take hundreds of books, which is probably more than you can fit into your suitcase. 😀
2. Storage. There are only so many books that you can store in your book shelf before it fills up. On an e-reader, the storage is pretty much unlimited. Pretty awesome.
3. Save money. There are many free e-books out there. The cost is generally less, because no one has to pay for paper and printing cost.
4. Be GREEN! Buying e-books saves paper (and ink). By helping yourself, you can help the Earth too!
5. No one has to know what you are reading. If you are reading a book that your not supposed to be reading, you can’t read it in public. On an e-reader, it is easy to read it without anyone knowing. For example, my sister is a huge fan of the Percy Jackson series. But I’ve only read the first 2 books. She thinks that I hate the series, (which I don’t), and gets super shocked whenever I read it. With an e-reader, I can read it without her knowing. (I haven’t done it yet, though I may… Someday…)
6. Save travel time. Sometimes, none of my parents can drive me to the library to pick up books. But, since I have an e-reader, I can just borrow books online, without anyone having to drive me!
7. Solutions to daily bookish problems. I bet I’m not the only one who has trouble reading a paper book and eating at the same time. The page gets lost, food gets on the page, and different dramas occur. So, whenever I’m eating, I read with an e-reader, and that solves the problem. Also, sometimes, we lose our place in the book. “What page am I on? Where did I stop last? Oh no, I don’t have more bookmarks…” I’m sure that I’m not the only one that goes through that… right? One of the biggest advantages for me is that the e-reader automatically saves my place and I don’t need to scrounge through my house looking for random scraps of paper to use as bookmarks. Sometimes, I find year old receipts in books. :O