There are always days that your brain doesn’t seem to function properly. It happens to you, it happens to me. The writing prompts list is blank. I don’t know about you, but those days are very unproductive for me. On those days, when I pull up a new blog post, the cursor blinks and the blank screen stares back at me. So, I created a list of writing prompts to get your creative juices flowing and your brain working.
Often times, this problem occurs because of writer’s block (more about that in a future post) and usually not burnout, which I talked about in a previous post.
20 Writing Prompts to Get Creative Juices Flowing
I put together a list of prompts that you can use to get back on your feet and get a working brain. Here they are:
1. What superpower would you have and why?
2. If you could travel anywhere, where would it be? Why?
3. What are you going to do today?
4. Plan your ideal day.
5. Write a poem about an emotion.
6. Which fictional world would you like to live in?
7. Which book would you make into a movie (or vice versa)?
8. Write a dairy entry about what happened yesterday.
9. A Fairy Godmother appears at your door. What would she do?
10. Write a horror story about monsters, and take away the ability of one of the five senses.
11. A celebrity you want to meet and why. What would you say?
12. Write an alternate ending to your favorite book or movie.
13. Write a fairy tale that does NOT start with the words, “Once upon a time…”
14. Write a story around a famous historical event.
15. Rewrite a famous story from a villain’s point of view.
16. Write a letter to your future self and hide it for 5 years. Be sure to set a reminder!
17. A graveyard comes alive at night.
18. Things you wish you knew before you started an aspect of your life.
19. Your pet starts talking to you.
20. You turn into your pet, and your pet turns into you.
Hopefully, some of these prompts inspired you and got your creative juices flowing. On awful days when your brain just seems to be a zombie, choose a prompt and write!